Students from non-EU countries outside the Schengen region require a student Schengen visa. The visa offered to students from countries in the Schengen region is official permission that allows the student to enter the country and live there during the period of study.

The standard duration for Schengen visas for students is three months. However, students who are applying to universities to study for a period longer than three months can apply for Schengen visas classified as the Long-Stay Study Visa.

The application is done at the embassy of the Schengen country in the students’ home country. According to the new visa code recently introduced in February 2020, all countries within the Schengen region are expected to establish embassies in countries where a large number of applications come from. This is a good policy that will reduce the stress of obtaining a Schengen visa.

The most popular European countries that receive applications from students and tourists are Germany, France, Italy, and Spain. The criteria for a student visa that I have listed in this article are generally applicable to any of the countries mentioned above.

New applicants should leverage the experience of travel consultants to help them secure a visa following the standard procedures. One error can invalidate an application for a student Schengen visa, so it is always better to seek professional help before you apply.

Here are the basic requirements that all students should consider when applying for a Schengen visa…

Valid Travel Documents

It is important to have a valid international passport. Failure to present this document will result in a rejection of your application. Please ensure that your international passport is valid for up to six months before applying for a Schengen visa.

Comprehensive Travel Insurance

It would be best if you procured travel insurance to cover the period you will be in the European country. Travel insurance protects you from huge bills during emergencies, so having it is a plus for you.

Signed Acceptance Letter From the University

You also need to show evidence that you have applied to study at a university, and your application has been accepted. This is evidence that proves your status as a student, which you will hold until you graduate from the school. Please note that graduates can stay in the European country to work for a period of up to 18 months. However, the job should be related to the course you have studied at the university.

Biometric Assessment

All students planning to study in any of the Schengen countries will need to undergo a biometric assessment before they are granted the Schengen visa. Your biometric data is stored in a secure database that is referenced when necessary.

Financial Evidence to Cover Your Tuition

Students are expected to show evidence that they have enough money to cater to their needs while living and studying in the Schengen country. In countries like Germany, the student is expected to open a blocking account that holds enough funds to cater to their needs while living and studying in Germany.

There may be other requirements in addition to what I have written above, depending on the Schengen country you have chosen, so make sure you do your research!